Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang

After leaving pakse we went to vang vieng for 5 days. The place is incredibly developed and there are restaurants playing friends or family guy every 10 metres. Everyone goes there for the tubing down the river, which is the ultimate party and would never be allowed in a 1st world country with rules and regulations. I had a ton of fun with fredrik tubing, swinging on the trapezes into the river, and sliding down waterslides. You tube down the river and there are about 10+ bars lining the river and laotians in fedoras throw you lines weighted with a waterbottle and pull you in. The river is also lined with massively majestic mountains that tower above you. They are the most impressive mountains that I have seen and you can see them all over town. The town itself is fun and there are lots of good restaurrants serving good western food. Stands also sell sandwiches and crepes (did someone say chicken bacon cheese? Best sandwich ever...)

After that I headed up to luang prabang by myself. I met lots of people at the cool hostel I am staying at, spicy Laos. I went to some caves two days ago, watched movies all day yesterday, and today I went to a super epic waterfall (I will post more pictures soon...). There are fish in the water that nibble at your dead skin. There are tanks of these fish in siem reap where tourists pay up to 10 or 20 dollars for 20 minutes (plus a beer) for the fish massage. This morning we checked out a procession of monks... It was cool but too early after a restless sleep. 

Tomorrow I am heading  to nong khiaw, a sleepy riverside town then muang noi, then luang namtha where I may do some trekking then i will cross into Thailand. I will check out the north and then On august 3rd I am meeting Paul in Bangkok!

I am also thinking of doing a month of surfing in Bali or Lombok in September!

1 comment:

  1. We are so glad you are having such a great time. Keep healthy.

    ReplyDelete